Thursday, April 17, 2008

Hair Drama

After three failed attempts at getting J's hair cut last week (the barber shop was closed at 4:30 each day, no posted hours, so it was mysterious when they were open), I took the kids by yesterday afternoon and they were open!

J has really, really great hair (in my mommy opinion). Not only is it a great shade of blond, but it's thick, straight and looks great in a "John John" haircut, as it has been for years now. We have had numerous conversations about how he likes for it to be "floppy" and I have seen him run where he lets it flop from side to side. This makes me thing that he's fine with it too and it's not just me imposing my wishes on his hair.

So we went in for a long overdue cut. It had been months and months since he had gotten a cut. I had trimmed the back and sides to keep it presentable, but now it was too far past long.

I am trying to remember how my description of "he has great hair that we like just the way it is, just shorter, especially the back and sides" was interpreted as "I am a mother who has no idea what I want, please, don't listen to me and cut it so he looks like a mental patient, jagged cut all over, still long in the back and sides".

I almost started crying when I looked up from talking to P to see the mess that she had made. She did notice my distress and when I asked her if she was cutting a bowl cut her response was "that style has been out for 20 years. I haven't cut anyone's hair like that in forever. Why would you want that?"

So I asked her to cut the sides and back like I had asked. She tried to pull it off by claiming it was a bowl cut now! see!

What I didn't do and should have was tell her that she hadn't listened to me. That by not listening and then doing whatever she wanted she had not only upset me, but given him a terrible haircut too. Then I made another mistake in telling Ryan in front of J how upset I was at how it had turned out.

This morning Ryan took him to school and apparently everyone commented on his haircut (in an approving way, he tells me). As his teacher told him she liked his new haircut his response was "no! it's not what my mommy told the lady to do!"

I need to work on my white lies. All this truth telling I have been doing lately hasn't helped me out as much as I thought it would.

2 comments:

Tina said...

After 11 years I still need to work on the white lies. My dd picks up on everything. We all do it, and hair grows back:)

bebelala said...

Hair does grow back (or so they tell me, after cutting off a foot last weekend). I'm sorry she didn't listen. :( J does have great hair.