Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I was reading this post by Penelope Trunk about three questions she hates to get.

The last one (You ask me a question that requires more than two paragraphs.) has struck me not because I have trouble explaining my failings...

Like my favorite Jackson Brown line goes...
Don't confront me with my failures
I had not forgotten them

but that I had just come from a meeting which hadn't gone quite like I expected and I was trying to figure out why. I spent a few minutes trying to boil down what happened into a sentence.

This meeting didn't go well solely because of me. Because I thought I had to be involved in every conversation and that I had something interesting to say in every discussion within it.

After the meeting was over, a very kind friend and I were analyzing what happened and he told me in the kindest way that I shouldn't have called the meeting since it wasn't in my realm of concern. And that people might have been uncomfortable because I was the one asking questions about the lack of QA coverage etc.

My initial response was that I saw a need, a vacuum and thought that for the good of the team and the product I needed to raise the issue, but the truth is... I didn't trust enough that everyone was going to do their job and so I wanted to be there to guide them, step by step.

So now I have to have a little talk with myself about how to make my concerns outside my immediate realm expressed in more constructive was rather than that constant mother-view of the world. It's not my job to make sure everyone eats their vegetables, but it is ok to make the suggestion, right?

This weekend I was at a friend's house and their adorable daughter asked me if she could have some ice cream that I was dishing. My response was "can I Please have some ice cream?". It was reflex, and everyone thought it was funny, but in a very mild way it was inappropriate.

So, yes, you may have some ice cream, and QA will be fine.

2 comments:

Sara said...

he reason we all laughed is because we've all done it before -- and retroactively kicked ourselves, too!

I think this level of insight into your own motivations and how other people can perceive your (read "our") actions is pretty mature thinking. Pat yourself on the back for having the maturity to recognize problems, even if, sadly, they can still be problems....

Chris Smouse said...

I'm going to take this as a compliment.