Saturday, March 15, 2008

Cross Dressing 3 year old makes a Girl out of Mom!

The other day I was dropping P off at school and he ran up to his teacher and exclaimed in delight at her skirt. He was so thrilled by it he was giddy. Then last weekend I took him shopping with me to get some work staples (nice shirts and jeans, thank god I work in high tech) and he not only made me try on this flirty embroidered dress, but begged me to buy it.

So I began to wonder about his disappointment at having an Everyday Dora for a mommy (practical hair, pants all the time, prepared for anything with trusty backpack) rather than the pink-ed up princess with the floaty dress and bad hair extensions. How disappointed he must be when I appear each morning and I don't look like Doris Day.

So today, consciously or not, I choose the pink purse and matching pink wallet at Target when I was buying my twice yearly effort at accessorizing. I choose a nice shade of purple for my toes the last time I got a pedicure. I have been trying harder to do the hair and face in a purposeful way.

He won't ever have the incredibly put-together mommy of his dreams, but I can try and meet him half way. Then some day I can point out that although I don't have matching purse and shoes, I can help him rewire his house, and then maybe he'll thank me.

No comments: