Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 9

Last day of massive driving before we get to Canada!

We got up early (the sun comes up really early in the north!) and I gave the boys 2 options. We could get going and get to Grandma and Grandpa's as fast as possible, or we could go swim in the lake some more and hike around... the boys picked the former.

We drove back towards Columbia Falls on the west side of Glacier (not going all the way down the Going to the Sun road... I know, I know... but I was ready to be done with driving!).

We had a great breakfast in Columbia Falls where my hankering for a breakfast taco was met at the Montana Roasting Co. The kids were excited to get in the car and watch more Pokemon!!!

We made it to the border and crossed in less than 5 minutes. We drove up into BC and made good time to Radium Hot Springs in time to have some lunch and swim for about an hour.

The hot springs are really great! At this spring they have a hot pool and a cool one with slides and diving boards. The kids had such a great time, there's no surprise that they were rotten when I said we had to go. Joe was particularly beside himself when I said no to ice cream too. Screaming all the way to the car I had my only moment of "what have I gotten myself into" when I got them in the car. As we were pulling out Pete said that his seat belt was stuck (common since he likes to pull it all the way out until it clicks). This time it was totally broken. So I opened the back and rearranged all the stuff and moved Pete's chair to the third row and got him into the car. I was at the end of my rope, but I put myself in timeout (and told the kids so) and sat in the front and told them they couldn't talk to me.

I managed to calm down, even started singing some songs and we successfully made it to Banff National Park. Out the other side and into Canmore and we made it to Mom and Dad's!

2700 miles!

We hung out, had a really nice dinner that did not include a single french fry.

It was a treat to not share a room with the boys and not have to go to bed at the same time as they were. Mom and I stayed up and watched Miss Marple on PBS.

No comments: