Saturday, June 27, 2009

Day 1

Saturday, June 27th, 6:40am

Today we leave for the big 3 week road trip through the mountain west and up into Canada. I am very excited and scared at the same time as it will just be me and the kids (no daddy to dilute the crazy)!

Yesterday I spend the day panic buying at Target for snacks and games and packing said snacks and games. I am worried that we will all get bored and restless and then we'll have a bad time... or more importantly, the kids will start bickering and I will yell at them and then it'll FEEL like a bad time. But, thinking back to some of our road trips when I was a kid, I think that's par for the course.

While I was packing I finished watching "Into the Wild". It was quite good and I can see how people liked it, despite it's depressing premise. As Emile Hirsch whittled down to nothing at the end and died due to some mixed up edible plant eating, I had to laugh at my freaking out about having enough snacks. We have plenty of yogurt-covered-raisins and apples (ok, some oreos too) to make the 5000 mile trip, not to mention we can stop on the way.

So now all that is left is to put it all in the car, take a shower, have some breakfast with an already sad Ryan (the house being packed up for the move makes our being gone for 3 weeks even more lonely feeling), and get going.

More later!

No comments: