Thursday, June 12, 2008

Summer Camp is a breeding ground

Since my kids have been to more schools than I choose to count, we have had our fair share of germs. With each new school all of our immune systems are taxed by slight mutations of germs which take out each of us in turn. J even missed the very last day of kindergarten when he came down with strep for the nth time.

Now that J is in summer camp, he's been exposed again. No, not a cold or cough, but songs from bigger kids.

Today on the way home he was singing a song about how he hated Barney and the many ways he would harm the big guy. The song was brutal, but I was fascinated because I had never, not even once, turned on Barney. I am sure he knows who this purple dinosaur is, but it was incredible to think that he could sing such a graphic song about someone you hardly knew.

Today I was trying a new tactic where I let a kid be a kid for a minute or two before we talk about what the song means etc. and how wrong it was to sing about maiming etc. Rather than make him stop mid-song, I was letting it continue and figured we'd talk when he was done.

Just as I thought the song was finished J started up a new stanza. Since P was in the car too, J obliged by changing the lyrics to the other acceptable version where Barbie was shot, mutilated, and killed in various ways. Again, I decided to wait.

"A B C D Barbie is my enemy..."

Just as he was finishing P pipes in with
"I love that song, it was Barbie Island Princess, right?"

Once I stopped laughing I tried to explain that I was not laughing at the song, but P's reaction to it and I could see that I had lost the battle on this one.

No comments: